The dark web is a favorite place for criminals to sell any information anonymously. Unfortunately, this part of the Internet is not fully protected by law, and anonymous users can cause real headaches for other network users. Typically, the dark web trades data leaks or illegal goods. Darknet monitoring will help you find personal information about a particular user.
What Does Darknet Monitoring Do?
Dark web monitoring is one of the best ways to protect account data even if they are stolen. The system constantly checks the most popular dark websites where information is traded and sold, looking for user credentials. Monitoring services can notify their clients every time stolen passwords or any other information appears on the dark web.
What Stolen Data Can Darknet Monitoring Track?
- Bank Account Credentials: Cybercriminals can easily steal money with this information. Worse, they put it up for sale to others.
- Credit cards are one of the most popular items sold on the dark web.
- Phone number or email address. Emails contain personal information, such as credit card statements and home addresses, that hackers can use to their advantage.
- Driver’s license or passport number. Access to these data opens up a huge number of opportunities for criminals.
- Social Security number. Hackers use it to impersonate you.
Dark web monitoring services can crawl hundreds of websites on the dark web. The search expands to the following:
- Chats and forums
- Peer-to-peer exchange networks
- Social media
- Web pages
- Web services
Darknet and identity theft monitoring services are so important today for both individuals and businesses. However, even these tools cannot guarantee the complete protection of user data. The dark web contains a very large number of websites. Some of them can be found using dark web links. Others are very difficult to find, not to mention that such resources can be created every day.
However, for a large enterprise, darknet monitoring services are of the utmost importance. This is especially true if the company stores a lot of information about its customers. Protecting these data will allow you to attract new visitors who rely on a trustworthy service. Moreover, it will help you stand out from your competitors.
What Can Be Done to Reduce the Chances of Data Theft?
Monitoring is a useful thing, but even better if no one can steal your information. To reduce the chances of becoming a victim of criminals, it is important to follow some simple rules of behavior on the Internet.
- Use different passwords for different accounts. Although this is not convenient, having received the password from one account, the criminal can easily take possession of all your data.
- Different email addresses. This is another tidbit for a criminal. The more different addresses you use, the less serious the consequences of stealing one of them will be.
- Do not share personal information unnecessarily. Keep your address, passport details, and financial information private!