Fashion is one of the most important aspects of a person’s identity. So, it’s no surprise that there are many words related to fashion that you should know. In this article, we’ve compiled some of the most used words that are essential for anyone interested in fashion.
From “fashionable” to “stylish,” these words will help you to understand the fashion world and make better choices when dressing up or down.
But if you want to learn more about language and fashion. With AmazingTalker you can connect with one-on-one English Tutors that can help you improve your English speaking. You can also find tutors like French Tutors!
Following are the 20 fashion words that you should know. So let’s get started with it.
Words Related to Fashion You Should Know
Fashion is a big part of our lives and with good reason. It can make a big impact on how we feel about ourselves and how we’re perceived by others. To get ahead in the fashion world, it’s important to be well-versed in the terms related to fashion.
Following are some words that you need to know in order to sound stylish no matter what you wear. By learning these terms correctly, you’ll be well on your way to making a fashion-forward impression!
Words for Different Types of Clothing
There are a number of terms used to describe clothing, each with its own specific meaning. Here is a list of some of the most common terms and their corresponding definitions:
- Activewear – refers to clothing designed for use during exercise or sports
- Juniors – clothes are intended for young girls who have outgrown children’s sizes but have not yet reached an adult size
- Petites – styles apparel that falls within the mini category and typically corresponds with women between 5 ft 3 inches and under in
- Women’s – garments encompass anything larger than missed size ranges which are specifically tailored towards female body
- corporate – It is a dress type that is worn in a typical business
Words for Describing Styles
For a more in-depth understanding of the styles available, it is helpful to use words that encapsulate them. Here are four such terms:
- Classic – A fashion style that can be described as a classic is simple looks that stand the test of time, no matter what fashion trends may come and
- Elegant – An elegant fashion style features sleek designs and typically incorporates fine fabrics and well-made It’s perfect for people who want to look sophisticated and stylish at the same time.
- In vogue – Styles that are popular at the moment can be said to be in vogue – meaning they’re on trend right now and likely to stay around for a while longer (at least until another trend comes along!).
- Sporty – A sporty look focuses on practicality rather than opulence, using chic yet affordable clothing items that will make you look good without breaking the bank or leaving you feeling uncomfortable when wearing them outside of your home (i.e., running errands).
- Androgynous – It’s clothing that can be worn by both males and females. This type of clothing is gender
Words for Fashion Design
When it comes to fashion, words such as “sample” and “brand” are often used interchangeably.
However, a brand refers to the name of the line of clothing while a sample is simply a piece of it that has been made available to retailers.
Embroidery is another common term in fashion; this entails needlework that is added onto garments for embellishment purposes.
A slipover is an example of a garment designed specifically for putting on easily without having to take off your clothes first.
Off-the-rack is a term referring to clothing that is mass produced.
5 Easy French Fashion Words
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced French speaker, knowing some common fashion words will come in handy. Here are 5 easy French words:
- Clothes in French: Les Vêtements
- Footwear: Les Chaussures
- Women’s Clothing: Vêtements des Femmes
- Men’s Clothing: Vêtements d’Hommes
- To Get Dressed Again – se rhabiller
Fashion plays a huge role in people’s lives and it can help you make a fashion-forward impression. That is why we have prepared this list of the top words that are related to fashion for you. By practicing these words correctly, you’ll be well on your way to making a fashionable impression!
In order to boost your English speaking skills so that you can be more familiar with the fashion words, we recommend you to go check AmazingTalker. It’s an amazing platform that features tons of courses and professional tutors so that you can learn any language with ease.