Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken (Copycat)
It’s just like the Panda Express version you know and love! Ginger soy chicken is marinated in a black pepper sauce with celery and onions. It is low in fat and WW points!
Prep Time30 minutes
Cook Time10 minutes
Total Time40 minutes
Author Sabrina Snyder
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 stalks celery , thinly sliced on a bias
- ½ medium white onion, chopped into 3/4 – 1 inch squares (look at the photo for reference)
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon chili vinegar*
- 1 ½ tablespoons coarse ground black pepper (grind fresh, you want the punch of the large, coarse black pepper here. If you use plain black pepper it will completely overpower the dish and ruin it.)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Cut the chicken into one inch bites, and marinade with 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce, ½ tablespoon of the chili vinegar, cornstarch and the ground ginger for 30 minutes.
- Using two tablespoons of canola oil, heat a wok on high.
- When oil is hot and ripples as you move the pan, add the chicken.
- Cook on high heat until browned.
- Remove from the pan and add in the celery and onions with the remaining two tablespoons of canola oil.
- Cook the veggies on high for 30-45 seconds.
- You aren’t looking to soften them, just too slightly cook them.
- Add in the remaining two tablespoons of soy sauce, the remaining ½ tablespoon of chili vinegar, the cooked chicken and the black pepper.
- Cook for 15 seconds to combine everything and serve immediately.
Mye’s Kitchen recipe adapted
Mye’s recipe required this on the first attempt, but after this I just made my own by soaking one jalapeno in ½ cup of vinegar for 30 minutes, then removing the jalapeno and using 1 tablespoon for this recipe. This recipe is quite frequently made, so I use a lot of vinegar.
Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 665mg | Potassium: 498mg | Vitamin A: 35IU | Vitamin C: 2.4mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg